Religious festivals which falls fall during almost every month of the Myanmar lunar calendar draw people to pagodas.
On the days of festival, the stairways and platform of Shwedagon are thronged by endless streams of devotees from dawn till midnight.
A few of the religious festivals bear special significance for the Shwedagon Pagoda.
The most significance festivals are known as :
- Festival on the Full Moon Day of the Myanmar month " Tabaung " ( February- March ) , known as " Tabaung Festival ".
- Myanmar New Year Festival which is the water pouring festival and also called as " Thin- gyan Festival " in April.
- The Buddha Day Festival; known as " Kasone Festival " in April-May.
- Festival on the beginning day of the Buddhist Lent ; the " Waso Festival " in July.
- Festival on the last day of Buddhist Lent , which is known as " Thadingyut Festival " in October.
- Festival of weaving a robe for Buddha; called as the " Tazaungdaing Festival " in November.